Electrode Info

SIZES: As of this writing, there are different suppliers of violet wand electrodes.  MOST come in US standard size 7/16″.  But some suppliers have off-sizes.  Ask for size so you know what you are getting!  There are now a few brands that take only their own size electrodes and don’t fit anything else. You want American standard size accessories and electrodes unless you have an off-size wand.  But that’s not the only difference in electrodes.

DONT TWIST OR FORCE: You should never twist your electrodes putting them in or taking them out.  For fragile glass electrodes, they can get hairline cracks down in the endcap with the seal, from putting pressure on them by twisting or forcing electrodes into your wand. Push your electrodes gently into the wand only till they are held firmly, do not force them.  Yes, you may see some of the metal endcap at the top.  Since violet wand collets hold electrodes by friction, push them only till they grip.

DIFFERENCES IN QUALITY: There are some electrodes that are made for beauty devices.  They look the same, but they are fragile, unannealed glass and may shatter from thermal shock from the heat generated by a violet wand when you are using them.  High quality violet wand electrodes are made specifically for kink.  They hold up to what you can dish out.  They are made of special grades of glass and fully annealed.

What annealing does, is strengthen the glass.  It’s a process where glass is heated to red hot, then allowed to cool very slowly over several days.  While cooling, the crystalline structures in the glass form very strong .  Mass producers don’t have the time to do this, but American manufacturers who still hand make their violet wand electrodes, do.

Im going to let the following video speak for the difference between an unannealed electrode and a properly annealed electrode.  And the best part is, they are not that much difference in price to get good quality.

The Hook or C-Ring electrode in the video is sold by www.violetwanda.com and www.violet-wands.com

CARE:  Glass violet wand electrodes can be washed in warm soapy water, or disinfected with a solution of 1 tbsp bleach to 2 cups water, or benzalkonium chloride.  Holding onto the endcap, swish the electrode in the soapy water or disinfectant solution.  Remove and dry with a soft clean cloth, or allow to air dry.  If you need a quick clean, you can use hand sanitizer and then wipe off with a clean towel, but make sure the electrode is completely dry before using – hand sanitizer contains alcohol and might ignite on the electrode from a violet wand spark.  Most glass violet wand electrodes, you should not boil or scald.  However, one manufacturer makes fully annealed electrodes that can be boiled or scalded, which may come in handy for their internal insertable violet wand electrodes.  See your individual supplier’s instructions for care recommendations for their electrodes, as the difference in electrode quality and how you need to treat them can be significant.

CHARGING ELECTRODES: You may have to charge your electrodes before first use.  This means putting them in your wand and resting the far end of the electrode on a piece of metal like a table knife, and turning the wand on for 3-4 minutes.  Once the gas inside ionizes from charging the first time this way, you should not need to do it again unless you store them unused for a while.

WONT LIGHT:  A violet wand electrode that won’t light after charging has lost its gas due to seal failure.  This commonly happens with cheaper electrodes when forcing or twisting them into the wand.  Be gentle, and insert and remove with a straight motion only.   A good quality electrode may also lose its gas from a hairline crack that can’t be immediately seen by the eye, but at least one American manufacturer has a lifetime warranty that their electrodes will never lose their seal or their gas.

QUICK FIX:  Its a no-no to twist your electrodes or force them into your wand too hard.  Doing this puts pressure on the end cap and glass.  It can break the glass down in the endcap where you don’t see it, and cause the gas to leak.  Then your electrode won’t work.  BUT If your electrode end cap just comes off, and the glass is not broken, you can fix that quickly and easily by using super glue.  Just allow to dry completely before using your electrode.  Super glue wont fix the broken glass or the gas leak, but it will keep your end caps attached.

12 Comments

1. MColeman April 7, 2017 at 2:12 pm

fyi the best quality violet wand electrodes are Violetwanda’s

2. VanMastro August 30, 2016 at 12:34 am

Greetings from Germany. What are good electrode for a beginner?  And what are tips for electrode security?

• Emf Fan September 6, 2016 at 5:37 pm

The best electrode for a beginner is the mushroom; its mid range and gives you a good starting point.  The mushroom electrode is the violet wand ‘base line’.    I don’t know what you mean by electrode security?  Perhaps safety?  For beginners, electrodes should be well made, be safety gapped, and a good quality glass.  Some glass electrodes made under the Darsonval brand are highly breakable and liable to cut skin.  Look for professional manufacture and a long-standing reputable company.

Here’s the link to my article about electrode handling

And another good article on electrode safety

Just the big thing to remember, NEVER force your electrodes in/out.  Just insert them gently just until they are held.  Forcing will break their seal and leak their gas.  Just put them in gently.  And don’t twist or turn them.  Push in gently with a straight motion, and pull out gently with a straight motion.

3. Charlie Pond August 12, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for finally writing about >Electrode Info | Violet Wand Directory of Information <Loved it!

4. Basilisk May 21, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa? I know people who want to know more about violet wands and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!

5. Dorethea April 20, 2016 at 12:42 am

I don’t understand the bit about charging. I have never had to charge electrodes. When they come, they should work. If they don’t light up they aren’t working.

6. BDSM Couple March 13, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info on charging violet wand electrodes. I got some electrodes at an event and they wouldn’t light. I got one to light from charging and sent the others back. waiting on a refund. but I could tell the vendor that I did try to charge them and got only one to light. he only had a few electrodes and I bought all six, so I think he was trying to pull a fast one. thanks for giving me ammunition.

7. Ben February 28, 2016 at 4:46 am

This cant be right. I have never before heard of having to charge violet wand electrodes. I think this is one of those cases where bloggers just talk for the sake of talking.

8. Gene December 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Thank you for the tips.

9. MistressGabrielle December 14, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I don’t think Im going to be blowtorching my violet wand electrodes but it was interesting.

• KeithN August 10, 2016 at 5:01 am

Would you blowtorch me?

10. Jorja December 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I
    truly enjoy reading your articles and posts. There is a lot more information about violet wand electrodes than I ever thought possible. Can you suggest
    any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?

Thanks!